:: Re: [DNG] When upgrading to Beowulf…
Author: 'smee
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] When upgrading to Beowulf please test and report issues with eudev-3.2.9-2 from unstable!
Below is the output from apt remove *nonfree.

On both machines it looks pretty much identical. On both machines, it
mentions the following:

required:
amd64-microcode intel-microcode iucode-tool

This makes me think they were the programs that needed it.
Unfortunately I'm not ME free, and I don't trust intel (or amd) so I
worry that this nonfree software already did it's dirty work to enable
intel or amd spying.

aptitude why firmware-linux-nonfree
W: Package firmware-misc-nonfree had been marked to reinstall, but the
file for the current installed version 20161130-3 is not available
Manually installed, current version 20161130-3, priority optional
No dependencies require to install firmware-linux-nonfree
root@dooby1:/# aptitude why firmware-misc-nonfree
W: Package firmware-misc-nonfree had been marked to reinstall, but the
file for the current installed version 20161130-3 is not available
i   firmware-linux-nonfree Depends firmware-misc-nonfree (= 20161130-3)
root@dooby1:/# vi /etc/apt/sources.list
root@dooby1:/# history|grep nonfree
  496  apt list firmware-misc-nonfree
  497  history|grep firmeware-misc-nonfree
  498  apt show firmware-misc-nonfree
  499  apt --fix-broken install firmware-misc-nonfree
  510  apt-cache policy firmware-misc-nonfree
  511  aptitude why firmware-misc-nonfree
  512  aptitude reinstall firmware-misc-nonfree
  515  apt show firmware-linux-nonfree
  516  aptitude why firmware-linux-nonfree
  517  aptitude why firmware-misc-nonfree
  519  history|grep nonfree
root@dooby1:/# apt remove *nonfree
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'predictprotein-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'context-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'netpbm-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'context-doc-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'flashplugin-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'unace-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'texinfo-doc-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'firmware-linux-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'unrar-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'filters-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Note, selecting 'firmware-misc-nonfree' for glob '*nonfree'
Package 'context-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'context-doc-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'filters-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'texinfo-doc-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'flashplugin-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'netpbm-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'unace-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'predictprotein-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'unrar-nonfree' is not installed, so not removed
required:
  amd64-microcode intel-microcode iucode-tool
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-misc-nonfree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
After this operation, 8,174 kB disk space will be freed.