:: Re: [DNG] Result of the Debian vote…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Result of the Debian vote 'General Resolution: Init systems and systemd'
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 14:38:53 -0800
spiralofhope <spiralofhope@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 13:46:12 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
> > What happens if Debian stops supporting sysvinit, or worse, installs
> > Halloween Code to greatly complicate systemd replacement?
>
> I wasn't familiar with the term "Halloween Code". Is this a reference
> to Microsoft's internal strategy memorandums?
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/fsfe/projects/ms-vs-eu/halloween1.html
> https://www.gnu.org/software/fsfe/projects/ms-vs-eu/halloween2.html

Looking further, I find the correct term is "AARD Code". It's the code
Microsoft put in Windows to error out if Wind3x was run under DR-DOS
instead of MS-DOS. DR-DOS was perfectly capable of running Windows, but
Microsoft wanted to sell DOS, so they put an error message if DR-DOS
was detected.

Systemd itself is AARD Code: Whether intentional or not it
prevents use of competing software.

I believe that AARD code was discussed in one of the Halloween
Documents.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21