:: Re: [DNG] Result of the Debian vote…
Author: Clarke Sideroad
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Result of the Debian vote 'General Resolution: Init systems and systemd'
On 2019-12-28 5:03 a.m., Alexis PM via Dng wrote:
> My comments:
>
> A mediocre result, neither good nor bad.
> The best option for people who don't want to use systemd, Option 6 "E:
> Support for multiple init systems is Required", came in last.
> But Option 1 "F: Focus on systemd" came in second place, if it had won
> it would have been a tragedy.
>
> We remain more or less as we are ("The Debian project recognizes that
> systemd service units are the preferred configuration", "Packages may
> include support for alternate init systems besides systemd and may
> include alternatives for any systemd-specific interfaces they use",
> "Maintainers use their normal procedures for deciding which patches to
> include", "Debian is committed to working with derivatives that make
> different choices about init systems" as a simple recommendation), now
> with the certainty that it will remain so for at least some time. A
> project offering Debian packages free of systemd dependencies remains
> necessary.

It looks like the mess that exists, continues to exist unabated and will
only get worse over time.
Debian has really lost its reason for being, which differentiated it
from other distros.
The strength and safety of Dev level decision making in Debian and loss
of sight of its history has turned out to be the weakness.
In several ways it looks like world politics.

The lure of continuing to use Debian as a base distro is still there,
the breadth of the repos and the freedom and strength of individual
developers remains.
This all further reinforces, now more than ever the need for Devuan.
Yes there are other non-systemd Linux choices out there, but for me the
Devuan, Debian based combination will continue to be the best choice for
general use.

Clarke