:: [devuan-dev] Beowulf procps upgrade…
Author: wirelessduck
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] Beowulf procps upgrade issue
Hi,

I just upgraded a few servers from ascii to beowulf and noticed an
issue with the procps package.

ascii has procps=3.3.12-3+devuan2.1 while beowulf repository has a
lower version procps=3.3.10-4+devuan1.0.

The end result after doing dist-upgrade was that the upgraded system
on beowulf ends up with the ascii version of procps remaining
installed alongside libprocps6 which isn't in the beowulf
repositories. Manually downgrading the procps package to the version
from beowulf repositories results in the correct libprocps4 package
being installed from beowulf repository.

I ran a quick test on the buster version of procps=2:3.3.15-2 and
didn't have any issues installing it or setting custom sysctl
variables. I'm not sure what else to do for proper testing, but the
debian version seems to be working fine so far. Can we just drop the
custom devuan package then, or are there specific reasons for keeping
it?

On that note, is there any automated way to check for this issue with
other packages after upgrading? I only noticed this due to apt-dater
reporting the libprocps6 package being installed as an extra
non-repository package.

--Tom