:: Re: [DNG] Formail for managing dige…
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Formail for managing digests, Epoch
Hi,

On 27/11/19 7:42 pm, Stephane Ascoet wrote:
> Arnt Karlsen:
>
>> ..you can't (AFAIK), you do it outside your MUA, with e.g.: 'cat
>> $DIGEST |formail +1 -ds procmail '
>
> HI, yes, it was clear that it couldn't be done graphically in
> Thunderbird. The first thing I don't understand is what I must
> have behind $DIGEST? The digest saved as an .eml file?

Yes, well, I think if you have a source file that is .eml then I'm
sure it can be used to split out emails in mbox format, which can then
be converted to individual emails and them you can drag those emails,
as required to your TB folder.

>> On 26/11/19 3:22 pm, Rick Moen wrote:
>>> ........ and just let the two or three users of that mode curse
>>> me as long as they feel is therapeutic.
>>
>> Love it! Great way to deal with it.
>
> This is a very m$ way to do :-(

Not really, the problem comes more with relying on big tech to do
things their way, Gmail method of "threading" is horrible too. I
think that digest as a method of mail group delivery should be dead,
it isn't as useful as it used to be and lived in dial-up days of the
long past.

Why not just filter mailing list emails to a particular folder and
forgo the single emails in favour of many that are easier to work with
and not require any special extra processes to deal with properly?

Besides Maildir is all about multiple emails in separate files, but
mbox is not; mbox is pseudo digest, but still better handled than an
actual digest message.

Cheers
A.