:: Re: [DNG] disable elogind messages?
Author: Andreas Messer
To: hal
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] disable elogind messages?
On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 07:14:48AM -0600, hal wrote:

> [...]
> I've commented out all of these lines. Presumably elogind-user is
> absolutely pointless on a Devuan system anyway?

Hmm, I wouldn't edit /etc/pam.d/common-* directly. Contents in these files
are managed and may/might change during package upgrade/install back. Also
on a desktop machine I would choose elogind to be working for normal
logins since it is needed for most desktop environments to mount/unmount
removable media and to shutdown/reboot the system.

If you really want do disable elogind for everything I would recommend to:

a) either run "/usr/sbin/pam-auth-update" and unmark elogind entry in the dialog
appearing (This will actually change all /etc/pam.d/common* files
permanently). And disable elogind service running
"/usr/sbin/update-rc.d elogind remove"

b) Or just remove libpam-elogind and probably also elogind
itself (if its not a dependency of some other package)

Otherwise I'd suggest to only edit /etc/pam.d/<service> files to disable
elogind for corresponding service if needed. This should only be required
for files including "common-session".

cheers,
Andreas

--
gnuPG keyid: 8C2BAF51
fingerprint: 28EE 8438 E688 D992 3661 C753 90B3 BAAA 8C2B AF51