:: [DNG] OT: KVM/QEMU incremental back…
Author: hal
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] OT: KVM/QEMU incremental backups?
Is anyone doing QEMU/KVM incremental backups of a running VM? I'm trying
to find some info on how best to accomplish the backup as well as a
restore.

What I want is to run my VM on a single SSD but take an incremental
snapshot of the VM every few hours, saving it to SATA RAID. I only want
to save what's changed (delta image?) and not an entire copy of the
image each time.

I find a lot of info like the link[1] below showing how to properly
snapshot and copy the base image, but not a lot showing how to actually
recover if I need to restore. Is it just a matter of first saving
the base image, and then saving every snapshot after that? Combining
them with the `blockcommit` command if I need to restore?

Thanks

[1]
https://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Live-disk-backup-with-active-blockcommit