:: Re: [DNG] disable elogind messages?
Author: hal
To: Mark Hindley
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] disable elogind messages?

On 11/13/19 4:43 AM, Mark Hindley wrote:
<snip>

>> [Wed Nov 13 04:18:02 2019] elogind[2278]: Removed session 64972.
>> [Wed Nov 13 04:18:02 2019] elogind[2278]: New session 64973 of user root.
>> [Wed Nov 13 04:18:02 2019] elogind[2278]: Removed session 64973.
>
> That is 6 new root sessions in 2 seconds. What is in your cron job? I can't
> immediately think of a reason why you would want a logind session for a root
> cron job at all.

I think this might be from a cronjob running the sar command to collect
system info to graph (CPU, free ram, cpu temp, etc). Some of the data
gathering is only seconds long, however it spawns a new instance of `sar
-u` or `sar -B`, etc.

My mail server is doing the exact same thing when running fetchmail for
several accounts. Every few minutes cron rolls through 4 or 5 accounts,
runs fetchmail, and terminates leaving all those `elogind` messages in
syslog.

It may be since I'm using bash in the scripts called by cron, this is
creating a login shell. Could that be what's causing all this noise?

Thanks and apologies for the belated reply