:: Re: [DNG] Devuan as a rescue CD?
Author: Larry De Coste
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan as a rescue CD?

--
Lawrence De Coste
<larrydecoste@???>
Cell/Txt/Signal:
+1 (401)275-3712

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Litt <slitt@???>
To: dng@???
Sent: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 12:47 AM

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 21:41:36 -0400
fsmithred via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On 10/26/19 5:06 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Has any of you been using Devuan as a rescue CD? If so, how has it
> > been working out for you, and do you have any suggestions to make
> > the Devuan rescue experience easy and productive?
> >
> > System Rescue CD recently switched from Gentoo to Arch, thus
> > acquiring systemd. I wouldn't have a big problem using systemd for
> > a narrow, contained usage like rescue, but I've also heard their
> > project is foundering.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > SteveT
> >

> I use a Refracta live-cd or usb as a rescue system. It has things
> like ddrescue, smartmontools, lm-sensors, testdisk/photorec and some
> other relevant software installed.

Sounds good. I mainly need rsync, tar/gzip, ddrescue, disk tests, and
ram tests. I'll download Refracta tomorrow and try it out. Thank you!

> What is it you need to rescue? Some things are easier than others.

Bust back into Linux boxes whose password I've forgotten, grab data off
of iffy disks b4 things get worse, grab data from friends' windows
boxes after they screw things up.

SteveT
======
You might want to try MX-19 iso. It's not system by default and based on Debian Buster.
There's a special rescue option on booting.