:: [DNG] Insane defaults on Raspberry …
Author: Edward Bartolo
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] How to fix rng-tools hang
Subject: [DNG] Insane defaults on Raspberry Pi images - How to fix corruption/dataloss
Hi,

I have been using the Raspberry Pi for a music player with an IQaudIO
DAC PRO card. First, I used Devuan, which very sadly, did not
recognize the DAC. After about 2 months of using Devuan, my SDCard,
was burnt: no more write cycles were allowed and it become read-only.
To correct this, and at the same time, to continue using Devuan, I
used 'noatime', and this resulted in the SDCard remaining useable
without issues. However, not being able to use the DAC, and after
being advised from the DAC's manufacturer, I had to switch to
Raspbian. The latter, readily recognised the DAC and I could use it.
The audio difference betweent the Pi's built in sound chip and the
DAC, is outstanding, to say the least. So, needless to state, I am now
on Raspbian, but with an init other than systemd.

Pi users normally use an SDCard for their OS. I would have imagined a
read-only bootable installation with file writes restricted to when an
OS is shutdown, or better, on user requests. This to protect the
SDCard.