:: Re: [DNG] I wrote IBM
Author: Bernard Rosset
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I wrote IBM
>> The facts with systemd is this. RedHat's business model is to sell
>> support for their OS. Only problem is that Linux is pretty stable on
>> it's own. No problems means no support money. That's why they must
>> replace a perfectly good init system that's worked perfectly for
>> multiple decades with something that's got over 1000 bugs in the
>> tracker alone and handles thing like dns resolution. This isn't even
>> about features. If it was they'd be using something like OpenRC which
>> does pretty much all the same process management systemd does without
>> all the RCEs and scope creep.

> RedHat's aims have not changed from when they first introduced SystemD
> and they are achieving them on target which is why IBM bought in.
> It is to become the only Distro regardless of name, in effect
> the SystemD Operating System.
>
> By forcing the same packages and package versions by tight integration
> with SystemD (Apache2, BIND9, dhcpcd5, etc. etc.) then all Linux Distros
> will fall into the scope of RedHat Support business model and make
> everyone potential clients regardless of who the packager was.
>
> I thought all this was public knowledge....

Although all very interesting theories (even some being plausible), and
although I am inclined to believe any (*any*!) explanation, even the
oddest, as to *why* this systemd monstruosity exists, all I see here is
conjecture and/or opinions presented as facts.

I would gladly take anything that would connect any wild theory to
something remotely looking like a fact or a proof when talking about
knowledge.

> So Devs, this is one good reason NOT to submit patches to Debian.
> Unfortunately, all the other Devs in the world not here either don't
> care, or have a vested interest in (work for) IBM\Redhat.

Sometimes evil intent can be explained by mere ignorance. Most people
out there won't take the time about how/why/where they do something as
"trivial" as packaging some code, which is a "side" activity to the
"real core": the software code.

That is where propaganda (as in "the spreading of ideas, information, or
rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or
a person") kicks in, to help spread the word of Devuan's existence, and
the underlying principles at work.

Poettering fans out there negate the very principle of the existence of
"init freedom" and are very vocal about it... That is *miles* away from
any elaborate grand scheme about anything, and this fight is already
hard to win.

Bernard Rosset
https://rosset.net/