:: Re: [devuan-dev] Patch for udisks2 …
Author: Mark Hindley
To: svante.signell, devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Patch for udisks2 to enable installation of mate-desktop-environment (+etc)
Svante,

Thanks for this.

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 11:36:31AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On order to be able to install mate-desktop-environment in Debian (and maybe
> other desktops) udisks2 is needed. Currently udisks2 depends on libpam-systemd
> and build-depends on libsystemd-dev. The attached patch for version 2.8.4-1
> fixes the build, as reported in #923387. Additionally, creating a link in
> libelogind-dev:
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libelogind.pc-> libsystemd.pc
> (and s/x86-linux-gnu/triplet/ for other architectures.)
> enables the usage of the login option:
> using libsystemd-login:     yes

AFAIU this is not required. We no longer need to fork and patch to remove
libpam-systemd dependencies as Devuan's libpam-elogind provides that dependency.

IIRC this was discussed a few weeks ago and you can use the Debian buster udisks
directly in beowulf. It was tried a few weeks ago, but perhaps you could confirm
that still works and works for you in mate?

The separate, but related question is whether we maintain a forked udisks to
completely remove the logind dependency. THis was discussed at the meet on 11
September, but I am not aware of a consensus or decision.

My opinion, which is based on the least work required and reducing the number of
forked packages to maintain, would be to remove our forked versions from beowulf
and ceres and just use Debian's packages. But that will pull in elogind for all
users of udisks, which may not suit everyone.

> Unfortunately I don't know how to test if it works with elogind. Anybody knows?
> Anyway, I do have mate running on a real Debian GNU/Linux laptop now!

Yes it does.

> After a new release of elogind the Build-Depends condition on libelogind-dev
> (>=241.3-1+debian1) in debian/control should be upgraded accordingly.
>
> I know we really have problems getting the patch in #923387 applied. However,
> creating an updated version of elogind (now 241.3-1+debian1) followed by an
> updated patch to udisks2/debian/control would at least make it possible to
> install elogind and manually build udisks2 with the patch in that bug report.

We don't need #923387 fixed for Devuan as libpam-elogind provides libpam-systemd
(this is not true in Debian).

Mark