:: Re: [DNG] I wrote IBM
Author: Bernard Rosset
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I wrote IBM
On 2019-09-30 18:34, Steve Litt wrote:
> It's their job to receive letters from the public

Who does "they" refers to, exactly?

> and any half way smart business values feedback.

Out from any idealized vision, the question would be: what is the incentive?
From a pragmatic observation of the real world, I would quote those few
words from golinux:

On 01/10/2019 02:13, golinux@??? wrote:
> still they persist.

Big companies persist on their agenda, whatever the (fiducial) cost as
long as (fiducial) benefits outweight them.

Steve, you talk about values; companies talk about money.

systemd sells well, more & more distro fall to it. Actually, less & less
major Linux distro have been available out-of-the-box without systemd as
init system (+ dependencies, where the real pain hides & lies).

Why would Red Hat, ie IBM would see that another way than beeing good
news? Hegemony, lock-in, monopoly: (tech) giants have been using these
tactic for ages.

TL; DR
systemd is good for IBM's business. Moar revenue, moar profit. The rest
is cosmetics.

Now. How/Where does you little email inserts itself into that plan?
Nowhere.

Your idealized, desperate wish to force the way things go round & round
makes you wish that will have any impact. I would call that being blinded.

As told before, and hinted by many including myself, any energy wishing
to fight this nightmarish systemd hydra is to provide alternatives, and
promote them to the general population for the greater good.

You energy & wishes are good, this is fuel. I hope you will understand
the somewhat knee-jerk reactions you (will) get about writing emails to
IBM are not against you, but mere incentives to use your fuel to
promote/make Devuan (better).
Heck, suggesting it to a colleague who seek for a distro to try/use is a
start, installing it for some family members that will use office
software for accounting/small business needs, are common possibilities,
and that coupled with explanations is spreading knowledge.

No-one has any idea on how this war will end. The risk being, systemd
being tightly coupled with GNU/Linux, its envisioned eventual
self-induced demise from bloating & controlling every system component
will hurt GNU/Linux reputation.
I guess the long-term strategy is to say & repeat (& repeat & repeat)
systemd is a mere component, yet propagating in it like cancer, of
GNU/Linux systems, showing proof-by-example distro exists without it,
are stable, maintainable, and remembering people *choice* is the eternal
fuel for freedom.

Companies have no values. You have no "money" talking point. IBM won't
listen. IBM does not care about anything but money. Business do not care
about anything but money. Stop wasting your fuel.

Bernard Rosset
https://rosset.net/