:: Re: [DNG] I wrote IBM
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I wrote IBM
On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 00:29:59 +0000
Aitor <aitor_czr@???> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> El 29/9/19 a las 2:32, Steve Litt escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just wrote IBM asking them to reconsider systemd, given that IBM's
> > business model is different from the old Red Hat's.
> >
> > It took me 3.5 hours: 2 hours to find valid addresses of Todd Moore,
> > VP IBM Open Technologies and Virginia M. Rometty, Chairman,
> > President and CEO of IBM. It then took me 1.5 hours to curate my
> > letter down to 1 page of 12pt type. My letter was to Moore, CC to
> > Rometty.
> >
> > Given the fact that this letter writing campaign involves more than
> > just people in Devuan, and the negative reaction some Devuaners had
> > to this project, I will be serving as the central information point
> > of the letter writing point, accumulating and refining contact
> > information and reporting the successes and failures of writers.
> >
> > I encourage all of you to write IBM. If I'm right and it helps, this
> > would prevent future incompatibilities requiring significant
> > increases in Devuan development effort, just to stay even. If I'm
> > wrong, you lose a couple hours writing a letter. The web page for
> > this letter writing campaign is as follows:
> >
> > http://troubleshooters.com/ibm_systemd/
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
>
> It would not be out of context to discuss about dbus...
>
> I can't understand neither the dependency of most of the network
> managers on dbus,
> nor the dependency of the (alsa | pulseaudio) controls on it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aitor.

I think you're right, but removing or decoupling dbus would be a much
tougher sell. Dbus is much more metastasized into the rest of the
software than systemd is (yet). And while nobody enthusiastically likes
dbus, very few absolutely hate it. I felt I'd get farther with just one
precision ask.

Of course, that doesn't prevent others for asking about dbus.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key