:: Re: [devuan-dev] Free software intr…
Author: golinux
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Free software introduction
On 2019-09-17 16:34, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 03:18:31PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
>
>> There was some redundancy and organization that imo needed to be
>> tightened/rearranged and I fiddled with a few other things
>
> I like your edit with the exception of one cut comma, which isn't
> strictly
> necessary, and this paragraph:
>
>     The GPL, a copyleft license, essentially says that you're free to
> use the
>     software for any purpose and that anyone to whom you give the
> software
>     must have all the rights you had when receiving the software to
> study,
>     modify and re-distribute the software.

> Since you joined what were previously two sentences together, it's now
> redundant to say both "all the rights" and then to list those rights
> without a
> bit more fiddling. I think if we strike the word "all" it will suffice.
> This
> reads a bit more cleanly:
>
>     The GPL, a copyleft license, essentially says that you're free to
> use the
>     software for any purpose and that anyone to whom you give the
> software
>     must have the rights you had when receiving the software to study,
> modify
>     and re-distribute the software.

I feel it is important to emphasize the transfer of freedoms.
"All" worked for that but this does also. How about this? In the end
your choice. I can see
it both ways:

      The GPL, a copyleft license, essentially says that you're free to
use the
      software for any purpose and that anyone to whom you give the
software
      must have the SAME rights you had when receiving the software to
study,
      modify and re-distribute the software.

Let's see if any other comments pop up. If not, that page can be
replaced on
the website.

golinux