:: Re: [devuan-dev] On joining Devuan …
Author: Evilham
To: devuan developers internal list
CC: Dmitry Bogatov
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] On joining Devuan development team
On dv., ag. 23 2019, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:

> [ Please keep me in CC ]
>
> [2019-08-21 14:37] Evilham <devuan@???>
>> 2. These changes appear to only remove libsystemd0 and service
>> files.
>>    - libsystemd0: I thought removing the libsystemd0 dependency
>>    everywhere was not even a long-term goal in Devuan, since we
>>    now have libelogind0 and it effectively removes systemd's
>>    code
>>    while being compatible with Debian's packages.

> This is quite... disappointing. Not to start flame war, but for
> my taste
> libelogind0 it is no better than libsystemd0. Not sure I have
> motivation
> to contribute to Devuan in this case.
>
> Sorry for noise and time spent.

No noise at all, and don't give up on Devuan just yet:
What I wrote was my understanding of current state of things,
which means: I can be wrong and, even if I am not, it can be
probably be revised.

It's a healthy conversation worth having and nobody will flame you
here for having those concerns; worst case, some points are made
for, some points are made against and we all learn something.

Just stay tuned to what more well-informed people have to say and
take into account that August is usually a bit of a dead month in
Europe and most people involved are based here.

>>    - service files: we are not removing these as they are
>>    harmless
>>    and not worth the overhead to remove them. There was a
>>    setting
>>    to keep those from being installed by apt, I can look for it
>>    and we probably should add that to documentation since
>>    people
>>    ask this all the time, but it shouldn't be a reason to fork
>>    packages and not worth the added effort over many packages.

> Okay. By the way, it is dpkg --ignore configuration, not apt.
> Something
> like
>
>     echo 'path-exclude=/var/lib/system/*' >>
> /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/exclude

Wonderful, we should add this somewhere to the webpage, thank you.
--
Evilham