:: Re: [DNG] New Tilda documentation
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New Tilda documentation
On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 11:19:29 +0100
s@po <tuxd3v@???> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> On Sun, 18 Aug 2019 01:20:53 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>

> > > What I still miss in tilda is a session manager, do
> > > administrate remove servers, without been all the time typing..
> >
> I was talking about, Administering Remote Servers, based in a Session
> Manager( with all of your park described in it.. ).
>
> Imagine that you have at your responsabilities Thousands of Servers..
> And when you want to enter them by SSH( or any other way, but
> specially ssh, with x11-Forwarding if needed.. ),
>
> So, if that would be posible, imagine with a mouse click, in a tree,
> chose the server you want by name and them, double-click it, and it
> only asks for your Password.. You don't have to type all command to
> ssh, IP's and so on( Because they are distributed in hundreds of
> diferents networks..and such ).

Hi s,

I'm still a little confused, but check out UMENU2:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/projects/umenu2/

You could have identical menus on each of the thousands of servers, and
just have different environment variables so each server's menu does
the right thing for that server.

This isn't a Tilda solution or a Guake solution: It's a menu accessible
on any computer, GUI or CLI, via ssh, with or without X11-forwarding.
You needn't type commands because all you type is letters: One letter
per submenu or leaf mode command.

I web searched "session manager", and it seems to be
logging_with_recall/approving/disapproving your interaction with a GUI
user interface. I can't immediately visualize how that relates to your
need to what you're looking for.

> I think I still missed to describe you what would make Tilda a real
> top-notch Conection Manager..

I'm assuming that by "connection manager" you mean
https://searchvirtualdesktop.techtarget.com/definition/Remote-Desktop-Connection-Manager-RDCMan
where it's sort of like a smart, database driven KVM switch
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch), except it switches between
remote desktop sessions instead of between physical computers. If
that's the case, my preference would be to have a standalone connection
manager rather than one attached to a terminal. I'm wondering if such a
thing could be constructed using a window for display, and a bunch of
tmux sessions, one for each connection. This is a guess: I don't really
know what you're describing.

> Here are some applications, that have
> at some extent that capability, but fail in a lot of other things:
>
> - https://sites.google.com/site/davidtv/
> - http://kuthulu.com/gcm/screenshots.html
> - https://remmina.org
> - https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net
> - https://www.nomachine.com
>
> Best of all of them:
> - https://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/index.html
>
> 2nd Best, but no X11-Forwarding :(
> - https://remmina.org

I looked up Van Dyke and was unable to see any conceptual link between
that and a terminal.

Are you using a dropdown terminal as a connection manager right now? If
so, which dropdown terminal?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2019 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28