:: Re: [DNG] Qemu with Beowulf host / …
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Qemu with Beowulf host / Ascii guest dies without much of an error message
On 8/12/19 1:42 PM, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng wrote:
> Lars Noodén via Dng wrote on 12/8/19 8:07 pm:
>> [snip]
>>         -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22 \
>>         -net user,hostfwd=tcp::8880-:80 \
>>         -net user,hostfwd=tcp::4443-:443 \
>>         -net nic,model=virtio \
>> [snip]

> Won't those declaration set up multiple concurrent backends for the
> single guest NIC ? Shouldn't you rather join up all redirections into a
> single backend parameter? I can imagine that multple backends could well
> compete rather than collaborate (though to end up crashing is a bit
> insensitive). This is of course pure guess work...
>
> Ralph.

Thanks. That was it. I am rather sure that invoking it the way shown
above /used/ to work even if it now causes qemu to crash: Multiple old
shell scripts I have from 2017 have that style of options, and worked,
but I'm not sure for which version of qemu they last ran on.

Definitely, putting forwarding all under one option keeps it from
crashing. The qemu manual page does not warn against using multiple
"-net user," options though it explicitly says that hostfwd can be used
multiple times. I guess the right way is now like this:

    -net user,hostfwd=tcp::2222-:22,hostfwd=tcp::8880-:80,...

The behavior has changed. I wonder if this is a bug in qemu?

/Lars