:: Re: [DNG] reinstalling GRUB2
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] reinstalling GRUB2
On 7/27/19 2:52 PM, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm installing Ascii->Beowulf on a separate hard disk, but obviously
> would like to make my current disk bootable as well.
>

> But still can't install GRUB:
>
>    # grub-install
>    bash: grub-install: command not found

Since your su is acting like it's from beowulf, you should probably treat
it like it is. Did you try using 'su -' instead of 'su'? If not, then
using the full path should work:
/usr/sbin/grub-install

> I will run # e2fsck -p -f and then reboot and try to install Grub
> again. But given the problem might be a damaged hard disk, safest
> would be to concentrate on getting my system working on the new disk
> before experimenting with the old to get its GRUB working.

Good plan.

To test the drive, install smartmontools (on the new system) and run
'smartctl -a /dev/sda' (or /dev/sdb, or do both.)

> Incidentally, in pursuit of this problwm I encountered a site:
> http://cdbug.org/file-system/linux-error-writing-read-only-file-system.php
> The page title ls: "Linux Error Writing Read Only File System". A
> pop-up that cannot be dismissed insisted I download a php automatic
> repair utility before being able to read more of the page. What I did
> read was that a reason for the error might be invalid entries in my
> Windows registry. I suspected malware and ran away rather than
> download the utility.

I'll bet your registry is exactly where it needs to be. (Reminds me of the
guys who call me up to say my computer might have a virus.) Maybe you need
better shielding on your browser. (noscript, ublock, something else?)

fsr