:: Re: [devuan-dev] Getting Beowulf re…
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: Jaromil, devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Getting Beowulf released.
On 16/07/19 05:24, Jaromil wrote:
> hi Dan,

>> Can we get a run down of all the outstanding tasks and bugs that need to
>> be addressed to get Beowulf released.
>
> palinuro has patiently addressed the rebasing issue so the grub
> package is here https://git.devuan.org/palinuro/grub2/commits/master
>
> i've been following a bit and seems that when importing the dsc with
> gbp a lot of dirt comes in the commit, wondering if we can avoid gbp,
> however so far this is the cleanest possible rebase of his patches.
> This is a great contribution for us in this moment given the state of
> grub2 and its complexity. Also palinuro being a developer of
> ParrotOS... means that this great, mostly forensic-oriented distro
> may move to Devuan, which makes sense given the security implications
> of systemd.

Indeed. My trials with gbp showed equally poor results. The best way
where the repo in salsa is missing commits of the latest release
version, it is best to download the packages debian.tar.gz, untar it
over the top and then use git add --patch to work through the changes
that have come in. This only effects the debian folder. If there is a
new upstream release that isn't there, then also download the
orig.tar.gz and commit that to the upstream branch with the appropriate
version tag. (This is what gpb import should do but obviously doesn't)

> Palinuro also mentioned to me he can dedicate time to debian-installer
> next, on which he has good experience.

Sure, d-i for beowulf is in ok shape so lets remain focused on work
relating to beowulf.

> other than that, we have a fully packaged new candidate for more init
> freedom in Devuan and that is the 66 wrapper by Obarun, packaged for
> us by Danyspin https://git.devuan.org/66-devuan anyone who can give it
> a try, please do and share your experience, it would be great for
> DEvuan Beowulf to sport another choice, Skarnet has done outstanding
> work on s6!

I would strongly suggest that we don't add new complications to Beowulf
by trying to shoehorn another init system in at this stage in the
release cycle.

> last not least we are almost done with the new website plan for
> devuan.pro and andrea will run some questions around for those of us
> running businesses that can be included.

Nice. It would be good to be able to announce this as part of the
bewoulf release if it's ready in time.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.