:: Re: [unSYSTEM] Google Plan to Preve…
Author: Caleb James DeLisle
To: psy
CC: System undo crew, grarpamp
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] Google Plan to Prevent "Trump situation" in 2020...

On 25/06/19 13:40, psy wrote:

> On 6/25/19 8:21 AM, Caleb James DeLisle wrote:
>> Didn't watch the vid but found this line particularly funny:
>
> I see that the video has been eliminated: "This video is no longer
> available.."
>
> (check info provided by @grarpamp to find it, again)
>
>> "smaller companies don't have the resources" to "prevent next Trump situation"
>>
>> practically saying "elections aren't going to rig themselves!"
>
> What do you think is Google main goal?.. Support people to search for
> things?... Educate people to use responsable Internet?...No way...
> money!. And best method, as a big company, is to use politics to achieve
> it. Really clear!

Actually this is a really interesting point, because I follow some people who
trade in financial markets and I understand from them that Google has committed
a huge business faux pas. Basically even though campaign finance is not really
regulated in the US, a business is always supposed to spread it's lobbying
money around, otherwise they risk backing themselves into the situation of
having no friends in Washington, the very situation that big G is in right now.

Suppose the EU decides to sue them under GDPR for 20bn dollars, do you think
Mike Pompeo's going to fly over there and say *anything* to them? Think it
will harm the EU in future trade negotiations? The EU already sued them for
5bn: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-alphabet-inc-antitrust-idUSKCN1MJ2CA
and Google is playing the only card they have, tying it up in court and hoping
Trump loses in 2020 so they can pull strings and get some arms twisted to make
the EU drop the case.

As Hanlon said, never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained
by stupidity. Companies do their share of evil things, but I think this is
nothing more than case Silicon Valley hubris. Older wiser companies like IBM
and Microsoft have stayed well clear of this minefield and I think that in the
end this story has more in common with that of Alexander the Great than of
Darth Vader.

>> Anyway, thanks for the amusing news this Tuesday morning.
>
> Don't worry so much. It can be worst... ;-)

That wasn't sarcasm, I enjoy an interesting story in the morning :)

Thanks,
Caleb

>>> https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2019-June/075400.html
>>> http://archivecaslytosk.onion/olesy