:: [DNG] Review: Intro to Devuan GNU+L…
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Review: Intro to Devuan GNU+Linux, A Great Operating System without Systemd
Ubuntu Buzz has a nice review of Devuan:

    "Intro to Devuan GNU+Linux, A Great Operating System
    without Systemd"

    http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2019/05/intro-to-devuan-gnulinux-great-operating-system-without-systemd.html

It seems like a decent, positive review and covers the default in the
desktop setup. It may have missed a key point about all the init
systems or service managers [1] one can thus choose from: in addition to
the default, sysvinit, there would also be OpenRC, DaemonTools, runit,
monit, and maybe some others I missed, to choose from.

On our side of things I notice that the repository does not seem to have
any way of identifying those tools as a group. Perhaps they could all
be labeled "init system" or "service manager" to make them easier to
spot. Also, s6, launchd, and Upstart are not in the repository, the
last one perhaps for obvious reasons.

/Lars

[1] systemd, furthermore, is neither an init system nor a service
manager. It should not be mistaken for one, even though it might
contain such parts.