:: Re: [DNG] Fwd: April's fools mess
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fwd: April's fools mess
On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 20:18:01 +0000
Daniel Abrecht via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> It's now clear that this was a planned action and there was no danger.
> But when it happened, this wasn't obvious in any way. I assume the
> other staff members knew about it, was it discussed at the last
> meeting?
>
> I really like April Fools, but this was no April Fool. Faking a crime,
> in this case claiming to have been hacked, is no prank or joke. It
> doesn't matter that it was April 1. either. This was absolutely
> unacceptable, never do this again!
>
> Regards,
> Daniel Abrecht

Well said Daniel, it wasn't an April fool joke and when I first read it
it wasn't the 1st of April, it was still March 31.

I don't think the internet is a valid place to try and pull an April
fool joke, purely because of the time differences. If you do try and
pull an April fool joke, it should be something that hurts nobody, but
is possibly believable. I live in England and the most famous one was
when the BBC convinced everybody that spaghetti grew on trees. Okay
this was some time ago, but lots of people believed it and it hurt
nobody.

The stunt pulled here could have caused alarm and distress and should
never have happened. I do not know if this was a one person stunt or
not, but in my opinion, the guy who pulled it should offer a
grovelling apology and promise to never do anything as stupid again.

my one Penny's worth

Rowland