:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
Le 12/03/2019 à 10:40, KatolaZ a écrit :

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 09:48:11AM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
>
>> Le 11/03/2019 à 19:33, KatolaZ a écrit :
>>
>>> guys, anything using dbus will most probably (indirectly) access
>>> /var/lib/dbus/machine-id at some point in time, since that file is
>>> read when attempting to send a message via dbus.
>>>
>>     It's most certainly as simple as that.     The question is why
>> the hell do a web browser need to attach to Dbus? This question is
>> pure rant because I won't be satisfied by any answer.
>>
> In order to contact your preferred DE's interface to select the
> printer when you hit CTRL+P, just to make one example out of several
> dozens?

    Is dbus really necessary for that? When printing from Palemoon, the
same dialog as all applications pops up, I guess it has to do with CUPS,
but Palemoon doesn't read machine-id for that, which certainly means it
doesn't use Dbus.

> Or to unlock the keyring using your DE's keyring manager?

    I, personally, don't trust that keyring. So don't use.

> We can only fear what we don't understand.

    Sure, and I thank you for having looked at Dbus' source. What we
don't understand still is the reason for this new /etc/machine-id. One
will need to read Systemd's source to know it.

> If you don't trust CORBA/DCOP/dbus, just remove any GNOME/KDE/whatever
> component from your system.

    I dislike them and I'm aiming to get rid of them. Xfce needs gvfs
(and what else) to show icons for removable disks. I'm writing an
application sans-gvfs do do something similar.

> It's possible. Then, you won't have any "desktop integration" which
> seems to be a "must" for many users today, but I can assure that life
> goes on either way.

    Well, this is meant to make the famous "Linux Desktop" look like
MacOS or MSWindows to take a part of their market share.

    I got the impression that a significant part of devuaneers is
running big servers and another part DIY desktop/laptops. The first of
these populations easily keep away from this entanglement; the last may
be unhappy with it.

    This said, the job of providing a sans-dbus  DE is certainly not
something I would ask to Devuan. But there are people in the Devuan
community who aim at that. They need a sans-systemd OS like Devuan to do it.

        Didier