:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 02:23:20PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > but first things first: do we want /etc/machine-id? and how?

> this is currently managed by eudev in devuan and, IIRC, it is simply
> regenerated as a random ID at each boot.

> we concluded that keeping it around but re-generating it at boot was the
> way to avoid breakage.

And I say you're 100% right here.

The machine-id:
* is a privacy issue
* gets broken when cloned systems are involved
but defusing it by re-generating every boot works around both of the above
while requiring no patches to affected software.

> Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated, but concrete insight on
> the ins and outs are much more useful I guess (read: please let's
> avoid a useless uninformed flame about that :P).

Be realistic... avoiding an uninformed flame would be against our rules :)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁