:: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] new freedesktop "standard": /etc/machine-id
On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 01:47:40PM +0100, Jaromil wrote:

> re all,
>
> any thoughts about this new systemd-made thing that freedesktop
> immediately "standardized" (whatever is their procedure for that,
> likely smoking cigars among old-boys or so)
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/machine-id.html
>
> its easy to replace by a script of course that's not the problem (the
> manpage suggests to use a systemd application for that, not a joke!)
> but I'm curious if anyone has some background and thoughts about this
>
> AFAIK chromium started checking it and its absence on Devuan Beowulf
> is reported as an error, so we may have to work around this.
>
> but first things first: do we want /etc/machine-id? and how?

Jaromil,

this is currently managed by eudev in devuan and, IIRC, it is simply
regenerated as a random ID at each boot. I guess it's still there
because it is used by several things, including
session-management-related stuff. We had a discussion on IRC with Mark
(LeePen) about that several weeks ago, and IIRC we concluded that
keeping it around but re-generating it at boot was the way to avoid
breakage.

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated, but concrete insight on
the ins and outs are much more useful I guess (read: please let's
avoid a useless uninformed flame about that :P).

My2Cents

KatolaZ