:: [DNG] Current status of Gnome deskt…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Current status of Gnome desktop?
Hi.

I need to set up a machine for someone with Orca for speech output, therefore
it needs to run the Gnome desktop. I'd very much prefer to do this without
systemd if I can.

Therefore I'm wondering what the current status of doing this on Devuan
(preferably Ascii) is.

https://devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/migrate-to-ascii and
https://www.heise.de/select/ix/2018/8/1533453649894916 both tell me that I
can't run Gnome at all, so I'm hoping that these are out of date.

Doing a fresh installation of Ascii doesn't offer me Gnome as a desktop
envoironment choice.

However, installing without a graphical environment does then allow me to
install "gnome" and "gnome-orca" as packages, which suggests to me that it is
now supported.

Rebooting just leaves me with the standard text terminal login prompt, though.

So, in summary:

a) can I use the Gnome desktop on Devuan Ascii?

b) if yes, how do I get the machine to present a graphical login prompt on
startup?

If anyone has any additional comments specifically related to using the Orca
screenreader for speech (not Braille) output, by all means email me offlist.

Thanks,

Antony.

--
There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes.

- Billy Connolly

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.