:: Re: [DNG] WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none
Author: J. Fahrner
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none
Am 2019-02-18 18:45, schrieb Didier Kryn:
>     If you reject the software because you distrust the author, try
> netplug intead, or write your own. The function is the same: react to
> plugging/unplugging the Ethernet cable. I dunno how these daemons get
> notified, but they do, and configure/deconfigure your interface.
> That's what they do and what they're supposed to do. I never tried
> netplug, but I guess it invokes ifup/ifdown, just like ifplugd.
> Alternatively, you can also invoke ifup/ifdown by hand (-:

I don't think there is any advantage to work around the dhcpdiscover
boot delay by using daemons that bring up networking later. Several init
scripts (like ntpd) rely on networking and have a dependency on this.
Now when we bypass it, they simply fail and try later. This is not a
clean concept.

If we need networking during boot, we shall wait until network is ready
(or encapsulate all network related processes and run them in
background)

Jochen