:: Re: [DNG] iptables forced obsolesce…
Author: chillfan
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] iptables forced obsolescence over upgrade
So it turns out if you have the proper nft support (nft + compat module probably) in your kernel then iptables will continue to work.

The ifup failure looks like this:

iptables-restore/1.8.2 Failed to initialize nft: Protocol not supported
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/iptables exited with return code 1
ifup: failed to bring up eth0

So the script in if-pre-up.d is not working because it returns 1 instead of 0. Maybe this behaviour is the best since otherwise someone would be left without a firewall or other feature and not know about it. Better to just change scripts to point to /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy-restore for now.

Cheers,

chillfan