:: Re: [DNG] WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none
Le 13/02/2019 à 14:32, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp a écrit :
> Ok, an addition to this issue:
> Anno domini 2019 Wed, 13 Feb 13:14:36 +0100
> Dr. Nikolaus Klepp scripsit:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Maybe somebody can shed some light in here:
>>
>> /etc/default/networking has an option "WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD" and "WAIT_ONLINE_IFACE". The documentation gives the impression that one or both methods can be used to get rid of that pesky endlesss wait while booting without network. Is this impression wrong or is the documentation not telling the truth? I have not found any settings that get rid of that pesky bootdelay when booting without network :-(
>>
>> Nik
>>
> Looks like the package "ifupdown" for sysvinit is missing the ability to use WAIT_ONLINE_*
> To be more precise: WAIT_ONLINE_* is used in /lib/ifupdown/wait-online.sh. That file used only from systemd:
> /lib/systemd/system/ifupdown-wait-online.service:ExecStart=/lib/ifupdown/wait-online.sh
>

> This is the solution that I came up with:
>
> #$ diff /tmp/networking /etc/init.d/networking
> 138,143c138,143
> <     if ifup -a $exclusions $verbose && ifup_hotplug $exclusions $verbose
> <     then
> <         log_action_end_msg $?
> <     else
> <         log_action_end_msg $?
> <     fi
> ---
>>     BG=$( [ "$WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD" = "none" ] && echo '&')
>>     (
>>         ifup -a $exclusions $verbose && ifup_hotplug $exclusions $verbose
>>         log_action_end_msg $?
>>     )$BG
> At least "WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none" would be working as documented and remove that bootdelay when booting without network.

> Thoughts on this?
>
> Nik

    If your ethernet cable can be either plugged or unplugged and you
want your system to react when you plug/unplug a cable in, then you need
a server to detect these changes and invoke ifup/ifdown accordingly.
This server can be ifplugd or netplug.

    In this situation you simply don't need and don't want neither
'auto eth0' nor 'allow-hotplug eth0' stanzas in your interfaces file.
These are the stanzas which will make your OS hang at boot time and they
are simply useless. Just remove them.

        Didier