:: Re: [DNG] WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none
Ok, an addition to this issue:
Anno domini 2019 Wed, 13 Feb 13:14:36 +0100
Dr. Nikolaus Klepp scripsit:
> Hi all!
>
> Maybe somebody can shed some light in here:
>
> /etc/default/networking has an option "WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD" and "WAIT_ONLINE_IFACE". The documentation gives the impression that one or both methods can be used to get rid of that pesky endlesss wait while booting without network. Is this impression wrong or is the documentation not telling the truth? I have not found any settings that get rid of that pesky bootdelay when booting without network :-(
>
> Nik

Looks like the package "ifupdown" for sysvinit is missing the ability to use WAIT_ONLINE_*
To be more precise: WAIT_ONLINE_* is used in /lib/ifupdown/wait-online.sh. That file used only from systemd:
/lib/systemd/system/ifupdown-wait-online.service:ExecStart=/lib/ifupdown/wait-online.sh

This is the solution that I came up with:

#$ diff /tmp/networking /etc/init.d/networking
138,143c138,143
<     if ifup -a $exclusions $verbose && ifup_hotplug $exclusions $verbose
<     then
<         log_action_end_msg $?
<     else
<         log_action_end_msg $?
<     fi
---

>     BG=$( [ "$WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD" = "none" ] && echo '&')
>     (
>         ifup -a $exclusions $verbose && ifup_hotplug $exclusions $verbose
>         log_action_end_msg $?
>     )$BG

At least "WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=none" would be working as documented and remove that bootdelay when booting without network.

Thoughts on this?

Nik