:: Re: [DNG] unatternded upgrades by d…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Alessandro Selli
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] unatternded upgrades by default in Debian
Hi,

Alessandro Selli writes:

> On 12/02/19 at 14:32, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> I just found the following comment on Soylent News:
>>

>> https://soylentnews.org/comments.pl?noupdate=1&sid=30051&page=1&cid=799766#commentwrap
>>

>>> As of Debian 9 (Stretch) both the unattended-upgrades and
>>> apt-listchanges packages are installed by default and upgrades are
>>> enabled with the GNOME desktop. Rudimentary configuration is
>>> accessible via the "Software & Updates" application
>>> (software-properties-gtk).
>>> it's a Debian thing that depend on systemd to start at reboot
>>
>> Sounds like something we don't want.
>
> I agree. All I need to automate updates is a cron job

I'm using this on two Devuan machines at the office. Works fine for
me. Apart from running the `apt upgrade` it can also check for the need to
reboot and provides a number of knobs to fine tune when, how and under
what conditions to upgrade/reboot.

Of course, you are free to invent a better wheel ;-)

BTW, on Devuan I did run into an issue because of a missing dependency
that didn't happen on Debian courtesy of systemd. Can't seem to find
the bug report I filed way back when at the moment but it was rather
unceremoniously closed.

Hope this helps,