:: Re: [devuan-dev] Updated policykit-…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Updated policykit-1 for Devuan
Hi,

Rick Moen writes:

> Quoting golinux@??? (golinux@???):
>
>>> What is logged in /var/log/auth.log when you run pkexec?
>>
>> Not readable. I tried a few iso codes from the very long list but
>> none could read it. UI was root at the time.
>
> In a terminal, 'less /var/log/auth.log' (as root) ought to always work.
> auth.log is outputted by the rsyslog daemon, as you can see in
> /etc/syslog.conf -- and in my long experience has always been pure
> ASCII.

ACK on the "should be ASCII" ... unless perhaps the system's default
language is something other than C, incorrectly aka en_US. Check
/etc/default/locale. Here's mine

$ cat /etc/default/locale
LANG=C.UTF-8

>> "The document was not UTF-8 valid
>> Invalid byte sequence in conversion input."
>
> How very odd. But do try the good old 'less' utility. Even though
> there _shouldn't_ be peculiar characters in /var/log/auth.log, if there
> really is such content, 'less' won't be overly impaired by same.

I like 'lv' a lot. Does on the fly decompression and will try to guess
the encoding (slightly CJK biased). If there's any gibberish, you can
always cycle through the supported encodings with 't'.

Has worked wonders for me with mixed encoding files :-/

Hope this helps,