:: Re: [DNG] Debian dev takes a break …
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian dev takes a break from packaging systemd
On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 19:49:38 -0500, Hendrik wrote in message
<20190122004938.yj3hqqnebeomxjz7@???>:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:42:15AM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> > On 22/01/19 at 00:08, wirelessduck--- via Dng wrote:
> > > https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=19/01/21/042251
> > >
> > > “Michael Biebl, long-time maintainer of systemd for Debian (2010
> > > or earlier, based on changelog.Debian.gz), is taking undetermined
> > > holidays from packaging it.”
> > >
> > > “Will stop maintaining systemd in debian for a while.
> > >
> > > What's going on is just too stupid/crazy.”
> > >

> > This takes place after he discussed a bug
> > <https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11436#issuecomment-454535318>
> > in which he expected systemd to respect local settings, and not
> > rename network devices:
> >
> > >         @yuwata a default policy like
> > >         /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link should never trump
> > >         explicit user configuration.

> > Later he seems surprised about how things roll there:
> >
> > >         I'm amazed that I have to point this out....

> >   Yes, it's amazing.
> >
> >   Even more amazing is that such a software was almost universally
> > adopted as a key piece of the OS.
>
> Even Poettering eventually says that the issue
> requires more thought.

...like these issues?: ;o)
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/systemd
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=pkg-systemd-maintainers%40lists.alioth.debian.org
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=systemd&repeatmerged=no
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=systemd&repeatmerged=yes
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=systemd

..this, I find amazing: 8o)
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=systemd-journal-remote
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=systemd-journal-remote

..now that everyone in Debian has more experience with the alleged init
systems, maybe a new init system vote in Debian?
Or am I getting too satyrically political again? ;o)

..I got curious enough to take a look at my debian user mail list
folder, which had some 85000 unread posts since my last dive there,
it _used_ to be _high_ traffic, like in avalance:
https://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-user.png
https://lists.debian.org/stats/
https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://lists.debian.org/stats/

..checking post with "systemd" in the Subject line, I found 10 in 2018,
143 in 2017, 201 in 2016, 493 in 2015, 2760 in 2014, 98 in 2013 and 128
in 2012. And I missed quite a few:
https://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?P=systemd&DEFAULTOP=or&B=Gdebian-user&SORT=&HITSPERPAGE=100

Scenarios always come in sets of three: