:: Re: [DNG] Is NetworkManager suppose…
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is NetworkManager supposed to work?
On 1/11/19 12:24 PM, Simon Walter wrote:
> On 1/9/19 4:47 PM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
>> On 09.01.19 13:48, Simon Walter wrote:
>>> This still did not work. So after learning about connman, I decided to
>>> try that. I removed NetworkManager and reinstalled connman and the
>>> "systray" app cmst "just worked". I cringe at that phrase. Sorry if it
>>> disturbs you too. LOL
>>>
>>> So I think I may never get to experience NetworkManager, but this is
>>> fine for now.
>>
>> NetworkManager's history is littered with problem installations - I've
>> had to remove it from half a dozen installs of several linux distros
>> over the last decade. But it does seem to work these days. I have at
>> least one installation which does, so it is possible, despite a number
>> of very experienced users and admins swearing at it rather than by it.

> That is how connman got installed. I guess I should not trust Devuan
> with my laptop either seeing as there are plenty of *smart* people at
> Debian. Bummer. At least the base install is clean. Now to build a cdist
> type for laptops.

A quick follow up in case some finds it useful:

During the tasksel phase of the installation, selecting just "KDE" and
not "Desktop Environment" will get you a working NetworkManager. There
is some conflict if you select both and simply purging the packages that
seemed to conflict did not work for me. Also there seems to be other
issues like missing icons and ACPI issues such as users not being able
to suspend/hibernate.

I recommend "no recommends".