:: Re: [DNG] excessive bounces
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] excessive bounces
On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:26:45 +0000
Rowland Penny via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 12:53:48 -0800
> Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Rowland Penny via Dng (dng@???):
> >
> > > Rick, please stop name dropping and please stop, just stop.
> >
> > Seriously? I merely asked you, while thanking you for your work on
> > Samba, to please say hullo to three of my friends and sometime
> > co-workers, as they are on the Samba Team with you. They are in
> > fact exactly that, I like them quite a lot, and I haven't seen them
> > in far too long -- in some cases, since the dot-com collapse.
>
> Two of the names you mentioned aren't involved much in Samba any more
> and the other lives nearer to you than me. I only mentioned I was a
> member of the Samba team to try and show I know that the problem is
> unlikely to be at my end.
>

> > For the rest, I have been trying to assist you -- using my longtime
> > knowledge of how to investigate Mailman/MTA problems involving my
> > own server and that of a number of groups where I'm a longtime
> > listadmin. As such, I've told you who can gather the required
> > data. If you don't believe me and would rather just pound the
> > table about how you believe the problem isn't at Samba's e-mail
> > server (which is entirely possible, and examining the logs would
> > confirm of deny), then best of luck to you, but I'll definitely not
> > repeat the mistake of trying to help you again.
>
> Thanks, because you were not helping, I need to know when the mails
> bounced and why and you cannot help with this. Once I get this info, I
> can ssh in and read the relevant logs

OK, after help from Katolaz and Jaromil (again thanks for the help),
and with help from one of my Samba team mates the problem has been
found.
It is all down to an anti-spam rule that Samba uses, the rule is for
any address that is info@<whatever>, so when 'info at smallinnovations
dot nl' sent an email to the Devuan mailing list and it was then sent
to me, it bounced.

Perhaps that user would like to change to change their email address,
it wont affect me in future because lists.dyne.org has now been added
as an exception, but it could affect others.

Rowland