:: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Re: What should an …
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fwd: Re: What should an Install Guide accomplish?
On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 05:07:04PM -0600, Michael wrote:

[cut]

> I would not have continued to be a member of this community in light of
> golinux’s reply, as I literally can not think of any way to re-word what
> he/she wrote into something acceptable. But before I officially unsubscribe,
> my ‘agenda’ makes me point out that Devuan 2.0 has a bug with un-mounting
> encrypted disks/partitions (FDE) during shutdown which prohibits me from
> being able to use Devuan in any event.

Dear Michael,

the bug with clean unmount of encrypted root partitions is known, and
in not exclusive to Devuan. This is just due to the fact that the
script that tries to unmount the root partition waits for it to be
unmountable (i.e., when there is no process with open files on
/). This is something that cannot be attained, since the root
partition is active and used until the end of the boot.

You can consult the relevant bug reports at bugs.debian.org, which
contain a few more details on the issue.

Regarding the documentation thing: I agree that some form of complete
Devuan manual would be great. There have been a few efforts in that
direction, but it is not even near to completion, so any help would be
very welcome.

On the other hand, I personally think that an installation guide
should be a "layered" document: the main thread being the "usual"
install path with only the necessary details, and links to further
information about specific points or possible bifucations. The main
reason is that installation docs serve two (almost antithetic)
purposes: the first one is to allow any newcomer to get a working
system easily. The second one is to provide extensive information to
those who like to understand what is going on under the hood. People
in the first class need just a simple document with figures, people in
the second lot would enjoy extensive explanations and detailed
descriptions.

Unfortunately, it is not easy at all to serve both ends of the
GNU/Linux spectrum to the same level of satisfaction.

My2Cents

KatolaZ