:: Re: [DNG] Bond ATI driver for old v…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Bond ATI driver for old video cards.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 15:49:03 +0700, Андрей wrote in message
<20181230114858.muGW7bIv@???>:

> Приветствую.
>

> В Mon, 24 Dec 2018 14:19:14 +0100, ты писал(а):
>
> > I only cared about video performance and quality in FlightGear,
> > where the radeon (and nouveau!) driver proved best on my hardware
> > (9250, 9800, X850XT-PE, HD4890 and GeForce GTS 250 (came with the
> > HD4890) at 2048x1536x32bpp@5 to 60Hz, and ATI Mobility FireGL
> > V5200 and Nvidia Quadro FX 770M at 1920x1200x32bpp@7 to 60Hz).
>
> Well, i have opposite opinion. I tried "nouveau" and "nvidia" drivers
> on "ASCII", in the "Torcs" and "OpenArena" games and saw difference in
> game speed for the old hardware.

..ok, which video cards?

..what kernel, X, cpu, memory size, etc?

..how much higher framerates?

> Also, i see low speed for the old ATI
> videocard, that i'm sure could far better in case i change from the
> radeon driver to fglrx.

..good luck with that.
Nvidia has been far better at supporting GNU/Linux than ATI or AMD,
for marketing, commercial etc internal politics reasons:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Graphics_drivers_configuration#A_note_on_free_drivers
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Problematic_video_cards

> So, i suppose, though you're satisfied w/ the
> speed of your games, i suppose, that have ye installed the bond
> drivers, the speed/quality of picture would be far higher than you
> enjoy now.
>
> So, my question is fo now, Are there any plans on packageing the fglrx
> driver for the old ATI cards.

..no, neither here or over at Debian.org, AFAICT.
https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#wheezy-legacy
https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
https://packages.debian.org/search?&keywords=fglrx

..could be politics, e.g. squeezing AMD out on its opinion on systemd?:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#gnome-fglrx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_graphics_device_driver#ATI/AMD

..your best shot is look for legacy drivers at
https://www.amd.com/en/support

..maybe you are the right guy to write an install wrapper script that
picks the best proprietary driver from https://www.amd.com/en/support
for any ATI/AMD card?

..e.g. side by side, with the free driver on display 0:0 and fglrx on
0:1, or run the free driver in runlevel 2 like now and put fglrx on
runlevel 3 and hop between them with "init 3" and "init 2" etc, or add
a runlevel 3 fglrx or nvidia boot stanza for every current free driver
boot stanza in the grub menu, so we can get the frame rate race going
again.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: