:: Re: [DNG] Bond ATI driver for old v…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Bond ATI driver for old video cards.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 16:15:32 +0700, Андрей wrote in message
<20181224121526.FP5a6bUI@???>:

> Приветствую.
>

> В Sun, 23 Dec 2018 08:33:13 +0100, ты писал(а):
>
> > > And which packages to install for the old ATI video cards,

> > ..for these, you want the best (and free) drivers, e.g. "radeon"
> > or "ati", which will do a good job of setting up good video for
> > you, or tell you in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and 'less dmesg' what
> > you might need instead.
>
> Do you mean under 'best' term the 3D rendering speed or missing of
> ATI's bond (oposed to free) drivers, similar as
> NVidia's xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy package?

..non-free fglrx? I've never tried it, nor nvidia, AFAIK.

> If first, than i disagree w/ you here as i have seen very different
> performance of that rendering w/ the free driver and the bond one on
> the same hardware

..I only cared about video performance and quality in FlightGear,
where the radeon (and nouveau!) driver proved best on my hardware
(9250, 9800, X850XT-PE, HD4890 and GeForce GTS 250 (came with the
HD4890) at 2048x1536x32bpp@5 to 60Hz, and ATI Mobility FireGL
V5200 and Nvidia Quadro FX 770M at 1920x1200x32bpp@7 to 60Hz).

> (the bond driver was running under "WinDoze").

..that makes some sense, Microsoft have full access to ATI source
whenever they or AMD care about supporting AMD's old ATI hardware.

..whenever they don't care, your best shot IME is radeon on Devuan
style Linux, like we had in Debian Sarge thru Wheezy, without any
Gnome or any Pöttering-ware.

..I was surprised to learn the same being true on Nvidia hardware,
my GeForce GTS 250 came with the HD4890 and since I didn't have a
power supply for my HD4890, I out of pure desperation tried commenting
out "radeon" from my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the darn 250 not only
came bang right up on the nouveau driver, its FlightGear frame rate
was a flyable 7fps up to the low 20ies, AFAIR.

> So, i suppose that in "DeVuan" there is just no bond ATI's driver (not
> packaged) whereas ATI gives it.

..correct AFAIK, AFAIK, we only use Debian's Debian-packaged drivers.

> > ..really old crap might ask for the "mach64" driver, which is
> > _really_ an hint to go dumpster diving for better video cards.
> >
> > > meaning bond (oposed to free) driver, like
> > > xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-legacy package?
>

> Андрей.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: