:: Re: [DNG] Multiple problems with up…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Multiple problems with upgrade
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 19:32:46 -0700, Se7en wrote in message
<20181223023245.6jirxk6nvs7qjgx7@???>:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> I have had many issues with an upgrade from Jessie to ASCII, and have
> voiced my complaints in IRC. Some of these issues are also reported
> in Debian Proper with no proposed solutions. I feel the need to voice
> them.
>
> First issue (Reported in Debian): X11 doesn't start up without root
> permissions. The issue is reported at
> <http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=130587> and the solution is
> a work-around to change a conf file to run as root.

..drop the sudo, log in as whatever user you use, and issue 'startx ',
if that fails, 'less /var/log/Xorg.0.log ' and dmesg tells you how and
(often why) it failed.

> Second issue: Torsocks does not work for several applications, notably
> fetchmail. I do not know if this is an issue with Devuan or Torsocks.
> It gives a permission denied error. Specific error is sh:
> 1: /usr/bin/procmail: Operation not permitted. It exits status 6.

..logs?

> This is also an issue with mutt. Torifying mutt produces
> "mutt_dotlock: operation not permited".

..anyone?

> Third issue: My loopback address is not automatically brought up. I
> have to run `ifconfig lo up` on every boot. Attachment is
> my /etc/network/interfaces

..which has "source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* " in it.

..try comment it out (# source /etc/network/interfaces.d/* ) and
then restart the way you usually restart things.

..if that fails, show us your /etc/network/interfaces.d/* .

> Fourth issue: My swap space is not correct. I had to fiddle with it,
> and am unable to correct it. I use LUKS+Cryptswap. I used the Jessie
> guided paritioner and it worked well before the upgrade.

..failing hardware messing up your install?

> There are more issues I can not recall at this moment. I am very
> upset that there are no solutions to this problem. Does anyone know
> what is happening?

..generally, you wanna do one post per issue, unless you suspect you
have a _chain_ of failures causing the next issues...

Scenarios always come in sets of three: