:: [devuan-dev] why is the build so co…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: debian-kernel, devuan developers internal list
Subject: [devuan-dev] why is the build so complex ?
Hi folks,

while trying to build a debian kernel w/ some minor config changes
(actually, just need the gpio keyboard modules), I've stumpled across
several strange problems and finally found out that the patches
haven't been applied on the main tree (in contrast to rt tree) .. this
ate up a lot of time, as the build takes so long (unfortunately, I don't
have the luxory of possessing a 120 core machine ;-)).

When I look at the build rules, I really wonder why it's all so complex.

Some things that IMHO contribute to that complexity:

* several source trees - rt vs none:
  --> can't we do this with one tree ?
  --> if necessary, fixup the rt patches, so they don't do anything in
      non-rt build (eg. proper #ifdef's) ?
* arch specific patches - same story like rt
* auxillary tools
  --> can't we build them completely separately ?
      (IMHO, shouldn't have an hard dependency on currently running
      kernel)

If it's just a matter of resources, I'd like to join in and do the job.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info@??? -- +49-151-27565287