:: Re: [DNG] Devuan armhf won't boot o…
Author: Joril
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan armhf won't boot on Raspberry 3 Model B
On 05/12/2018 10:41, KatolaZ wrote:

>> I see, but the Raspbian Stretch image (armhf) DOES work on this RPI3B,
>> shouldn't the Devuan armhf image work too?
>
> According to which principle should the Devuan rpi2 image work as
> well, again? ;) There is an rpi3 image in the same place you have
> found the rpi2.

Yes, but according to devuan_ascii/embedded/README.txt, section
"Currently supported images" this bullet point:

* Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 (raspi2)

led me to believe there was a chance that the raspi2 image would work on
a RPI3 as well :)

> The choice made by raspbian is sub-optimal: they basically provide an
> image for the least common config that works on as many different rpi
> models as possible. If you have an armv8, why should you run it as if
> it were an armv7 or an armv6? o_O

I'd agree with you but what I'm trying to run on this rpi is omxplayer,
a Raspberry-tailored media player that's only provided as a 32bit binary
:/ [1]
I know I could try to compile it manually but there is evidence [2] that
it would not be a speedy task, so I thought that if I could get Devuan
armhf to run, I'd get the job done more quickly.

1: https://omxplayer.sconde.net
2:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/235844/does-omxplayer-run-on-normal-64bit