:: Re: [DNG] Devuan armhf won't boot o…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan armhf won't boot on Raspberry 3 Model B
On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 10:08:24AM +0100, Federico Fanton wrote:
> On 05/12/2018 10:02, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
> > > I'm trying to get the devuan_ascii_2.0.0_armhf_raspi2 image to boot
> > > on a Raspberry 3 Model B, but the only thing I get is a black
> > > screen... Am I missing something or am I using the wrong image?
> > > devuan_ascii_2.0.0_arm64_raspi3.img works, but that's the 64bit image
> > > and I'd like to stick to 32bit ATM (=omxplayer support)
> > >

> > I think you have answered yourself, the rpi2 uses an arm Cortex-A7
> > CPU and the rpi3 uses an BCM2837 64bit CPU (which is armv8).
>
> I see, but the Raspbian Stretch image (armhf) DOES work on this RPI3B,
> shouldn't the Devuan armhf image work too?

According to which principle should the Devuan rpi2 image work as
well, again? ;) There is an rpi3 image in the same place you have
found the rpi2.

The choice made by raspbian is sub-optimal: they basically provide an
image for the least common config that works on as many different rpi
models as possible. If you have an armv8, why should you run it as if
it were an armv7 or an armv6? o_O

My2Cents

KatolaZ