:: Re: [DNG] [OT] The End of Trust
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] The End of Trust
Rick Moen - 04.12.18, 10:09:
> Quoting spiralofhope (spiralofhope@???):
> > On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 20:26:51 -0600
> >
> > golinux@??? wrote:
> > > Most of it is familiar but I did discover something that I didn't
> > > know.
> >
> > This is something I suspected since the 2000s when I realized how
> > capable JavaScript had become.
> >
> > I'll articulate this problem as:
> >
> > Your mouse position and timing is tracked to determine what video
> > previews you are interested in, on PornHub.
>
> It's been obvious for a couple decades that the horrifically
> overfeatured nature of JavaScript is the keystone factor behind the
> security problems of Web browsers, and that its feature set needs to
> be reduced and controlled, e.g., via personally tuned use of browser
> extensions such as NoScript or uBlock Origin.

For those of you how understand german language I highly recommend
browsing through the Firefox compendium of Mike Kuketz¹.

I learned a lot of stuff on how to armor Firefox to reduce the amount of
abuse by webmasters and advertisement networks. Of course there the the
argument of being asocial to webmasters by blocking all the stuff. But
currently I do not trust in ethical integrity of advertisement networks
and see this as necessary defense.

[1] https://www.kuketz-blog.de/firefox-umatrix-firefox-kompendium-teil9/

Ciao,
--