:: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - tr…
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - training room
On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:22:40 +0000
g4sra <g4sra@???> wrote:

> From my perspective, this topic has had some very interesting
> contributions. Thank you all whom have contributed.
>
> To pick out just one as an example, I had considered NIS\YP to be (or
> rather didn't consider because) all but defunct, and not taken it's
> simplicity and reliability over other methods into consideration.

NIS is, to all intents and purposes, defunct

> > Would have saved a bit of speculation and discussion had these
> > details been provided earlier :-/
> Intentional, only the available hardware and purpose is set in stone.
> Too many details too early stifles creativity, the 'speculation'
> promoted 'discussion' and raised some points that would probably not
> have been made otherwise. ;)
>

> So far I am getting
>
> Active Directory, supported by PAM or SSSD on the Client workstation
> to control console login.

You do not need sssd, it only really duplicates winbind (it even uses
some winbind code) and what winbind doesn't do that sssd does is easily
done by other methods e.g. Sudo

> Either /home mounted from the sever over NFS, or individual User
> [home] shares over SMB. Sever directory of Training Software
> mounted\shared similarly.
>
> Which yields
>
> Single point of User account management on the server.
> Server resources restricted to 30 max simultaneous Users.
> Regular backup of the sever provides protection against all User data
> loss. Single point (well subdirectories, easy to script) for review
> of Trainee progress by management.
>
> Hmm, can AD prevent simultaneous single User login on multiple
> clients ? Somehow I have never needed AD, so lack experience with it.

No it doesn't, but then neither does Linux ;-)
If you really wanted this, I am sure it is scriptable
As for which to use, an NFS or SMB mounted /home , most people seem to
use NFS.

> Interestingly little mention of workstation BOOTP, NFS Root, Cloning
> On Boot. Manually applying CCR's in each training room of 28+
> workstations is going to be a pita. No one mentioned the likes of
> Puppet, Ansible, ClusterSSH etc.

This is probably down to the very little information you provided, I
also have no idea what 'Creedence Clearwater Revival' has to do with
anything we are discussing ;-)

Just what do you require ?
Just what hardware will you have ?

Rowland