:: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - tr…
Author: Carl Fink
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - training room
On 12/2/18 5:19 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 10:07:23 +0000
> Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

Snipped excessive quoting.
>> Sorry, I think you missed the point of the scenario I was talking
>> about. This one is where the users don't have their own login - they
>> all use just the same login, so can sit down at any machine and use
>> the single login that's configured on the machine, and there's no
>> need for any user management on each machine other than setting up
>> the one user login. That might be appropriate if the training system
>> handles user management etc.
>>
>> Otherwise, I agree with you.
>>
> If you could set up such a scenario, then yes, your way could be used,
> but there was a mention of a server. If you have a server, you usually
> get files saved and read, so how do you differentiate between user
> 'fred' from computer18 and 'fred' from computer23 ?

With e-learning taken from a Learning Management System, the LMS will
have its own, generally independent, user authentication system. In
principle they could use the same directory server as network/
workstation authentication, but in practice they often do not and
certainly don't need to.

--
Carl Fink          carl@???
Thinking and logic and stuff at Reasonably Literate