:: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - tr…
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - training room
Rowland Penny <rpenny@???> wrote:

>> Indeed, but this scenario is for a fixed setup where the users (28 of
>> them) are setup once and then there is no further user maintenance
>> going forward. In such a scenario, there's little point in going for
>> the complexity of setting up AD - as you say, a one-off setup of the
>> users in Samba. The clients could potentially be configured to
>> auto-login to the desktop (or training system) on boot so the users
>> don't even need to know about users. Easy for users, no security.
>
> Been there, done that, but with that many computers it becomes a
> struggle, the users want to use different computers and cannot because
> they are not set up on that computer, believe me, if you are setting
> something up of this size, a domain is the way to go.

Sorry, I think you missed the point of the scenario I was talking about. This one is where the users don't have their own login - they all use just the same login, so can sit down at any machine and use the single login that's configured on the machine, and there's no need for any user management on each machine other than setting up the one user login. That might be appropriate if the training system handles user management etc.

Otherwise, I agree with you.