:: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - tr…
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Request for comments - training room
On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 22:17:58 +0000
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> Rowland Penny <rpenny@???> wrote:
>
> >> I think what Roland was getting at here is the number of users and
> >> how they are dealt with makes a huge difference.
> >>
> >> At one extreme, you have 28 seats, each one of them has a user such
> >> as "user1", and you can simply use /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow to
> >> manage that single user one each seat. You could probably build one
> >> software image and simply image all 28 machines with that one
> >> image.
> >
> > This would entail running Samba as a workgroup and, once you get
> > past about 10 machines, it get unwieldy, you have to create the
> > exact same users on every machine you want them to connect to and
> > keep their passwords in sync. This can rapidly become a nightmare,
> > this applies if you decide to go with NFS instead.
>
> Indeed, but this scenario is for a fixed setup where the users (28 of
> them) are setup once and then there is no further user maintenance
> going forward. In such a scenario, there's little point in going for
> the complexity of setting up AD - as you say, a one-off setup of the
> users in Samba. The clients could potentially be configured to
> auto-login to the desktop (or training system) on boot so the users
> don't even need to know about users. Easy for users, no security.

Been there, done that, but with that many computers it becomes a
struggle, the users want to use different computers and cannot because
they are not set up on that computer, believe me, if you are setting
something up of this size, a domain is the way to go.
It also helps if a computer decides to turn its toes up and die, you
just wheel a spare machine out and use that instead.

> >> At the other extreme, every person has their own login and can use
> >> any seat at any time (and there are hundreds or even thousands of
> >> them) so that progress/results can be logged for each person. In
> >> this case, you will really need a centralised user management such
> >> as Roland described using Samba & AD. You could still image each
> >> machine from one common image - but you'll need to do some
> >> post-imaging setup to give each machine a unique set of
> >> identifiers etc for the AD to work properly.
> >
> > If you run Samba as an AD DC and join the clients to this, you only
> > have to create the users & groups once and the password is only
> > stored in one place, the DC.
>
> Exactly - for many users, and especially if the users are dynamic,
> then it's the only sane way to do it.
>
> And it also means that each user has their own personal login & home
> directory so (if it isn't stored in a database that's part of the
> training system) there is somewhere for the system to store each
> users progress etc.
>
> Which leads to another question ... Does the training system itself
> have a user directory etc ? This also has an impact on the solution
> chosen.
>
> If the training system has a logon for each user and stores (eg)
> progress information in it's own database, then it makes little sense
> to also configure each user separately to the OS (eg using Samba &
> AD). Just setup the machines as above with a single user and manage
> users via the training system. On the other hand, if the database
> (the schema, not just the DB engine) is "open" enough then it may be
> possible to use that as an authentication source - giving each user
> their own OS level login which is the same as the traingin system
> login, but using just the one database.

It was my understanding this was to be on a separate network.

> Many possibilities - the "best" for any setup depends on answers to
> these sorts of questions.

Personally, (and I repeat, I am biased), I would run 2 Samba AD DC's
and at least one Samba Unix domain member as fileserver.

Rowland