:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):

> I do not expect an OS that does not even let you chose on what disk to
> perform the install will let you choose a filesystem layout that is not
> the recommended one, that is LVM across all the available devices.

Yeah, and in agreement with your implication, here, I share your
opinion about a good remedy:

> Solution to this: Boot from Knoppix (yes, seriously) and manually create
> the partitions with parted. Once this was done, rebooted from the RHEL
> image. On the "Installation Destination" submenu I selected "I will
> configure partitioning" and then clicked on the blue Done button.

Exactly like that, except my personal preference as a general 'boot to
this to do most maintenance work' live distro is Siduction (as I
mentioned recently). They don't always hit their target of a quarterly
ISO release, but are still (last I checked) releasing pretty frequently,
which means they have pretty cutting-edge hardware drivers, so its
hardware support is about as broad as you could wish for.

But I'd still maybe try the Ctrl-Alt-F2 and try /sbin/fdisk (or parted)
trick in many cases (because of laziness).

Perhaps you'll indulge a moment of my being a proud grandpa, though:
Back in 1999, I was a (minor) member of the group lead by my friend
Duncan MacKinnon at Linuxcare, Inc. that designed and released the
Linuxcare Bootable Business Card (Linuxcare BBC) just in time for the
first LinuxWorld Conference and Expo in San Jose, at which that 85MB
compressed ISO burned to a business-card-sized CD disc was a hit. Among
the people who noticed was Klaus Knopper, who intently studied how we
did the pivot_root trick from the initrd to change the root FS to a
RAMdisk. At the time, this required some tweaks directly to libc.
Anyway, this was the key trick required for live CDs, so Knopper copied
our work to produce Knoppix.

(Some history at:
https://www.revolvy.com/page/Bootable-business-card)

So, basically all of us who invented the Linuxcare BBC feel that we're
in a sense the grandparents of Knoppix and great-grandparents of other
live CDs that said 'Hey, let's do the Knoppix thing, too.'

(If I've already done that particular humblebrag on Dng, sorry. You
get old, you start repeating the same stories a lot.)