:: Re: [DNG] Participate to the first …
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Participate to the first Devuan Conference in Amsterdam!
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> wrote:

>> Walking around Glasgow, you might find
>> the brogue bewildering, but in Amsterdam? Never.
>
> There are worse cases. There's a place called "London", where a sign says
> "Sloane Square" yet the station announcement (by a person paid to have clear
> diction) says "Ten Ske".
>
> So people in, say, Stockholm, bother to learn English, people in London
> don't.

Ha, yes that is true !

I think it was Jasper Carrot (a brit comedian from Birmingham https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Carrott) who did a gag some years ago about how foreigners go to great lengths to learn English - then they come here and find that we don't speak it. A significant element of his comedy was maming fun of the Birmingham accept (or "Brummy").

And if we find ourselves talking to a call centre in Glasgow - well that's worse than the ones in India :D